Alan represents home-rule and general-law cities across the state. He has Merit Certification in Municipal Law from the Texas City Attorneys Association. Alan previously served as a staff attorney for the Texas Municipal League. He graduated from Texas Tech University with his Bachelor of Arts in English, Master of Public Administration, and Doctor of Jurisprudence.
Alan is on the Board of Directors of the Texas City Attorneys Association, and is Texas Chairperson for the International Municipal Lawyers Association. He is on the Board of Directors of Scenic Texas, and founded the Texas Center for Municipal Ethics. Alan is the Co-Chairperson of the 2016 University of Texas School of Law’s annual Land Use Planning Conference. He authors the TEXAS MUNICIPAL LAW & PROCEDURE MANUAL (6th Ed.).
- Author of the Texas Municipal Law and Procedure Manual (6th Edition)
- Chair, UT School of Law’s Annual Land Use Planning Conference (‘14 – ‘15)
- President’s Award for Outstanding State Chair, International Municipal Lawyers Association (‘12 – ‘13)
- Merit Certification in Municipal Law by the Texas City Attorney Association (‘09)
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Outstanding Alumnus, Master of Public Administration Program, Texas Tech University (‘05)
- Adjunct Professor of Political Science, Texas State University-San Marcos (‘99 – ‘03)